Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Memories Revisited





Summer Memories Revisited
June 25 2010


Hello Everyone!

I would be willing to wager that if you asked seven people of seven different generations to share their summer memories, the results would be book worthy. The reason for that is that just about everyone on every social and economic level would give a wonderful visual of summer in their period of time.

Folks from the 1920's would give you a rendition of their home made and simple games, and people from the 1930's and forties would share their decades, filled with stories of the depression and the war overseas, but the summer would still have it's moments of mindless and carefree pleasure.
A child can find happiness with the smallest amount of money because summer carries with it, a magic of it's own that no other season can top.

I grew up in the 1950's and sixties, in a friendly, multi cultured community where the vegetable man still used a horse and buggy to deliver the goods. There were actually horses and buggies that delivered fruit, and there was the call of the rag man, who went from door to door, collecting rags. I never knew what he did with them, but there you have it.
Summer meant not only freedom from school, which didn't mean much to me, as by age eight I had my own library card, and could easily read twenty or more books during summer and still find time to jump rope, skate a short distance in front of our building and hang out in Franklin Park across the street from our dwelling, careful not to allow the street light to "catch" me.

As I became older, summer meant Christian camp and a family visit to Meridian Mississippi where my grandparents and all of our first cousins lived. We actually gained a few pounds eating my grandmothers ongoing good cooking and I learned to churn butter, chew sugar cane ( I remember the "Country" cousins, as we called them, laughing at my brother and I who were known to them ( I later found out) as their stupid city cousins, and spit it out ( the sugar cane) instead of trying to chew and digest it. We got them back by swearing that in the streets of Chicago, you didn't have to walk anyplace. We made up stories about moving sidewalks. They didn't believe that any more than they believed that there were actual trains that were called "els" and moved above the city at lightening speed.

Still, summer was wonderful! At camp I made a thousand lanyards, or so it seemed, and stayed afloat in the water because my straight pressed hair would turn into a buckwheat look if I went under. Cultural differences had not been explored in those days and there were no perms for black folks. So, my counterparts with long blonde and brunette hair wondered why I shied away from water, with the exception of showers where I could easily dodge the stream and not have another reason to feel like an outcast. STILL, we had fun and enjoyed the sweltering days and nights.

On Wednesday night of this week, I was reminded of another summer ritual, and that is the summer date with your favorite beau. You hold hands and sigh and have an ice cream cone after the movie. At least that's what used to happen, but things have changed drastically and I had just about given up on the simplicity of dating, when my grandson and his girl invited me to a movie. I thought I might feel like a third wheel, but they invited another guy, in fact...he was a guy a little younger than myself, but we agreed on the movie, "How to Train Your Dragon". We went to this place called The Cinema Cafe and in this place, you do not sit in rows like a regular theater, you sit at little tables with really cool chairs and you order your food. Pizza, appetizers, nachos and cheese, pitchers of iced tea or soda, so anyway I had a lot to do on Wednesday, but I was just delighted that I had been asked on their "date".

We drove to the theater, my first time in a car with my grandson driving and it was so absolutely COOL. He has been practicing driving and wanted to impress me with his careful maneuvering of the car. It was a borrowed car, but he handled it well. Yes, he is twenty one and no, we do not yet have a car, but he will be ready when he gets one.
So, we get there and sit down and the guy, whose name is Roger, orders our food and treats us to a pizza feast with iced tea. The movie is not only cute but thought provoking. I would recommend it as a family movie, but for me, the experience was one that I am adding to my repertoire of summer memories. I remember when my parents divorced and my mother was dating a man who had two children and they took the four of us to a drive in theater. I do not remember if any of us were embarrassed by the fact that our parents were dating. I remember how happy I was to hear my mother laugh again and Mr George was a big and handsome man, who looked like a giant next to our tiny mother. I took his bigness as protectiveness and he was kind and gentle.

I remember the movie which was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and I remember that they sent us all to the concession stand with LOTS of money and told us to get anything we wanted. It took me years to figure out that they wanted to steam up the windows like some of the teenagers were doing as we bobbed our way between other parked cars.

So, sitting in the dark, watching a young cartoon hero on the screen, I thought about my own dates. In fact, similar dates with the grandfather of our new young driver. I stole a glance at the two of them, and he had his arm comfortably around her shoulder and she had a look of complete joy on her face. I sighed. Young love! How sweet! And how many young people would invite the old folks on a date with them?
Well, young folks who love the Lord, and if they get married, they will have plenty of time to be alone and grown up. Right now, they are sharing their love and their testimonies with many, so I was not shocked by their involving us. "We have to do this again"! Said my grandson's intended. She has already invited me to a spa day with her mother and herself. I think it will be fun!

So, to that new summer memory I have added a song that I picked out for my grandson's betrothed long before he met or knew her. I was watching a commercial one afternoon and he was sitting on the love seat, sketching and cartooning as he does sometimes for leisure. I heard the song I am about to share with you and I said, "The girl that God brings to you will be worthy of this song". He smiled and said indulgently, "Grandma"!!!
Last night I played it for them! My grand-daughter in law to be, was all smiles. "I LOVE this song" she said.
Was I right or was I right?

What are some of YOUR favorite summer memories? The arrival of the ice cream man? COOL watermelon and cantaloupe treats? Popsicles?
Wearing lighter clothing? Or just feeling free? Remember summer love
songs? Or just plain summer songs that made you feel good and thankful
to be alive!

Maybe listening will make you recall a wonderful summer moment, or perhaps you will make more of your own.
Summer, enjoy it and be BLESSED!

Joy and LOVE!
Zenobia

YEP, I am a little square and REAL sentimental!


Click here: YouTube - Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop by Landon

No comments: